- Unleashing Magical Worlds Has Begun!
Today’s the day! Balance of Seven’s first ever crowdfunding campaign! So, why are we doing this? Because we want to continue supporting our amazing and talented authors and artists. We want their voices to be heard and their skills to be recognized. And frankly, … Read more
- Prevailing Against Long Odds: A Word on Our Plans
History is a potent and sometimes difficult teacher. As we forward our press’s operations in this historical moment, I find myself looking to history for lessons, and inspiration. And it seems, strangely, that I’ve found that inspiration closer to home than I’d have imagined. … Read more
- A Word on AI
In light of recent developments in the publishing world, With concern for our authors’ livelihoods and in the name of publishing ethics and protecting our authors’ means of self-expression, and In the name of clarifying our stance as an organization amidst a growing situation … Read more
- Help Us Forge a New Path
Hello, Readers– here’s a bit of an update and an appeal. Balance of Seven is, as you know, realigning and preparing operations and plans now that our staff has grown. We will be launching a crowdfunding campaign soon for the costs of our upcoming … Read more
- Available for Preorder: “The Mountains Under Her Feet”
It’s nearly the end of January, and we at Balance of Seven have been hard at work in getting our new team organized, and getting all the i’s dotted and t’s crossed in growing from a two person to 6 person operation while continuing … Read more
- Bearing the Most, Bowing the Lowest
It has, in the fullness of time, come to me to be the new face of Balance of Seven Press, as its managing director, so I’d like to say a few words by way of introduction. この度、バランス•オブ•セブン社の新代表取締役社長就任によって挨拶の言葉を一言申し上げたいと思います。 Once, in what increasingly feels like a lifetime … Read more
- Pride Month: Your Story Matters – Dr. Bakkalian
Post by Dr. Nyri A. Bakkalian. It matters now, more than ever, to uplift trans voices and read trans stories, and for us trans authors, to write those stories.
- Vermont Sci-Fi and Fantasy Expo
Post by Charleigh Brennan. Hi everyone! I wanted to update you all on how the Vermont Sci-Fi and Fantasy Expo went. In one word: Amazing!
- PRESS RELEASE: Bringing Bolivar Peninsula to Houston
Houston, TX—Local author Georgina Key will be signing her award-winning book, Shiny Bits in Between, on May 21, 2022, at 1 PM at the Blue Willow Bookshop (www.bluewillowbookshop.com) in West Houston.
Who We Are
Established in 2018, Balance of Seven LLC is a small independent press dedicated to keeping the magic in publishing. Our readers crave magic, and we aim to bring it to them by providing a platform for new voices and perspectives. With a cis woman and trans man as our founders, diversity and allyship are at the very core of our makeup. We bravely venture beyond genre; when publishing emerging voices, we find they often do not fit “inside the box.” Many of our books are award winning or #1 Amazon bestsellers, sometimes both. Discover the book you didn’t know you loved at balanceofseven.com.
Our Mission, Our Magic
Our mission is simple: keep the magic in publishing.
We do this by:
- Selecting manuscripts by underrepresented writers (women, LGBTQIA+, BIPOC, those who battle mental or physical challenges, and more)
- Implementing a multilayered editorial process to ensure excellence in storytelling and mechanics
- Working side by side with authors, illustrators, designers, and sometimes letterers and colorists to create custom, one-of-a-kind books that reflect the true essence of the story
- Publishing high-quality, professional books that change the way readers view the world
At Balance of Seven, we train up professionals and build relationships that empower our authors to advocate for their own and each other’s work, because ‘starving artist’ is not a label for which an author has to settle.
To that end, we are looking for aspiring authors who:
- Can work well with constructive feedback.
- Are cordial but professional.
- Will support the press’s mission of advocacy for minority and marginalized voices.
- Are driven to advocate for their own work as well as that of their authorial colleagues under the press’s auspices, in the interest of building community and growing the press’s reach.
- Understand that the process of marketing, advocacy, and things like library and bookstore outreach don’t end on publication day.
To build a better bookshelf that includes all voices.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
At Balance of Seven, our mission is to keep the magic in publishing—and diversity is magic. We view diversity, equity, and inclusion as the amplification of voices and ideas from cultures, lifestyles, and experiences that paint a broader picture of our community than has previously been portrayed. We invite you to discover the book you didn’t know you loved.
What Readers Say About Our Books