Dragons Within: Embracing Her Fire will focus on the dichotomy between the power of strong women and how society perceives it.
The world often views dragons as evil and destructive, but they lend their strength to the human world to aid their friends and loved ones. Similarly, society often touts that certain traits in women are unacceptable or taboo, but many women claim the strength of those traits for their own good and the good of those around them.
The Dragons Within anthologies center around strong women bearing distinctive personality traits that can be attributed to dragons. Examples include, but are not limited to, fiery tempers, wisdom, obsession with collections of some kind (i.e., their hoard), protectiveness, and intelligence.
This theme does not limit the inclusion of other aspects of dragons, including magic or possibly appearance, or even the inclusion of actual dragons within the story. However, we strongly prefer that a submitted story’s featured strong female character be humanoid (in her main form for the story, if she’s a shifter) for it to be included in this anthology.
This anthology will be limited to those who have not yet been published in a Dragons Within anthology.
June 15, 2020
Max of 5,000 words
– 12 pt. Times New Roman, double spaced
– Standard Manuscript Format (see https://www.shunn.net/format/story.html for example)
– Italics as italics (not underlined)
– Spiritual (i.e., focused on the characters’ spiritual journey)
– Magic Realism
– Speculative fiction, including, but not limited to:
– Science Fiction (e.g., Apocalyptic, Post-Apocalyptic, Steampunk, Time Travel, etc.)
– Fantasy (e.g., Urban Fantasy, High Fantasy, etc.)
– Historical Fiction
– Alternative History
What We Are Not Looking For
– Authors who have already been published in a Dragons Within anthology
– Romance (romantic elements are acceptable, but not as the main genre)
– Child abuse
– Gratuitous violence
– Gratuitous sex
– Hate speech or discriminatory language of any kind
– Copyright infringement, trademark infringement, or use of likenesses of any real people
Submissions should be sent as an email attachment to email@example.com. Emails should have a subject line that includes the anthology title, your pen name, and your story title (e.g., Dragons Within – Pen Name – “My Dragon Story”). Please address submissions emails to Tod Niretac Tinker.
If you have any questions about the call for submissions, please email Tod Niretac Tinker at firstname.lastname@example.org.